Friday, June 15, 2007

Very Sad News To Report

I just witnessed a hawk attack and carry off my baby crow. Baby crow was four and a half weeks old, fully feathered, and almost full size. He would stay in a bird cage most of the time, but I would put him outside on tree branches and on the ground so that he could try to learn what birds are supposed to know. Today, I had him in the grass. While cleaning up after dinner I looked out the kitchen window and saw a hawk attacking him. I tried to get outside as quickly as possible to try to scare the hawk off. When I got outside I saw the hawk take off with my baby crow. At that point I could no longer watch. I bawled my eyes out. As you can see from previous posts and pictures, I raised this guy from when he was just hatched, fed him every one and a half to two hours, and bonded with him. I did the best I could to give this little guy the best start possible. Considering he would have died had I not found him in the first place, he had an excellent four and a half weeks. I am deeply saddened. This has been very traumatic for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to read about your crow. I was curious as to how a crow hatchling would look and your picture was the only one I could find. I was curious to know what food you gave him.

I too had a crow for a short time. This one was developed to the point I figure, maybe 2 weeks to flight.

Stitchgirl1155 said...

Thank you for your kind words. If you didn't see them, there are more pictures of the hatchling crow a couple of posts prior to the "Sad News to Report" post.

The only thing I fed Baby Crow was bread soaked in fat free milk. It was the only thing I knew to feed him and he grew very quickly.

Did your crow eventually fly off to live a normal bird life?

Anonymous said...

I was only able to keep it for a few days. It gave my wife the creeps and I decided it wasn't worth the marital strife...lol I released it in this nature area near my apartment. It stayed in the area for a few days and then it was gone, so I think it learned to fly. They have coyotes around here but I didn't hear any for the few days Jake, (yeah, I named it Jake lol), was around. I'm going to check out your other pictures.